Re-enchanting Villa Medici : Call for proposals to refurbish the guest rooms30 November 2022
The French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici is partnering with the Mobilier National, with the support and guidance of the Bettencourt Schueller Foundation, to promote contemporary creation in the fields of arts and crafts and design, through an exceptional call for proposals aimed at refurbishing and refurnishing the guest rooms of the historical building of Villa Medici.
Also supported by the Banque Populaire Foundation and Maison Tréca, this call for proposals will bring in contemporary designers, architects and artists working together with artisans to showcase their expertise and give a new identity to the rooms of Villa Medici.
The call, involving the refurbishment of three rooms by 2023, will be followed by two more calls over the coming months involving a total of nine rooms.
It is part of an ambitious refurbishment project between now and 2025, entitled “Re-enchanting the Villa Medici”, which is underpinned by an unprecedented partnership with the Mobilier National, designed to bring together perspectives on design, architecture, interior design, tapestry and tableware.
Call for proposals
- 26 September 2022 at 3pm: opening of the application platform for the first call
- 30 November 2022 at 3pm: closing of the application platform for the first call
- December 2022: examination of the applications by the jury; pre-selection phase
- January 2023 – February 2023: selection phase
- February 2023: Jury deliberation
- Second half of 2023: delivery of rooms
- Spring 2023: publication of the second call for tenders
- Autumn 2023: publication of the third call for tenders
The projects will be selected by a panel made up of Alberto Cavalli, Executive Director of the Michelangelo Foundation for Creativity and Craftsmanship and General Curator of the Homo Faber Event, Hedwige Gronier, Head of Cultural Patronage of the Bettencourt Schueller Foundation, Hervé Lemoine, President of the Mobilier national, Christine Macel, Director of the musée des Arts décoratifs, India Mahdavi, architect, designer and scenographer, Isabelle de Ponfilly, President of the Board of Directors of the École nationale supérieure des Arts décoratifs, and chaired by Sam Stourdzé, Director of the French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici.
Applications must be submitted exclusively by electronic means, via the dematerialized platform below, from Monday 26 September 2022 at 15:00 and Wednesday 30 November 2022 at 15:00 (CET):
– Applications must be submitted exclusively by electronic means, via the dematerialized platform, from Monday 26 September 2022 at 15:00 and Wednesday 30 November 2022 at 15:00 (CET). The platform will be automatically closed at 15:00 (CET), please make sure to finalize and submit your application before this time.
– It is imperative that the title of all the files that make up the application file begin with the applicant’s last name (e.g. for the applicant Mr. Dupont: “dupont_doc_artistique.pdf”, “dupont_cv.pdf”, etc.). The documents must be submitted in PDF format and the titles must not contain any accent or special sign (e.g. £. *, #, (), ^…). Each PDF document submitted on the platform must include the names of the candidates (if applicable, each of the persons in the case of group applications).
– The electronic weight of the dematerialized application file must not exceed 20 Mb in total.
– Make sure to use browsers such as Google Chrome.
– To validate your application, you must fill in all the required fields, read the rules and regulations and click on “Soumettre la candidature”. A confirmation of your application will be sent to you by email. If you do not receive it, please check your junk mail, the acknowledgement of receipt received by e-mail shall be deemed authentic.
COMPOSITION OF THE APPLICATION FORM:
The application file for the first call for projects must be submitted online by 30 November at 3pm at the latest.
The application must include :
- A portfolio
- A note of intent describing the project to refurbish the room. The content and format of the NOI are free. There is no limit to the number of characters. The purpose of the note is to describe projects for the refurbishment of the rooms. Candidates may, if they wish, attach to the note any explanatory text or graphic element that will illustrate the project (sketch, diagram, plan, section, axonometric projection, rendering, photomontage, etc.). The note of intent must be uploaded in PDF format.
- A scanned copy of the proof of professional activity (for each team member)
- Curriculum Vitae of each team member
If you have any questions, please contact the following address and we will do our best to answer: [email protected]
DOCUMENTS TO READ :
- Rules of the call for applications
- Question and answer (FAQ)
- Press release on the call for projects for the refurbishment of the Villa Medici guest rooms
Cover image © M3 Studio