Villa Medici acquires the first known painting of the Turkish Room
Thanks to a generous gift from Philip and Cathia Hall, the French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici has acquired the first known painting of the Turkish Room, signed by Alfred de Curzon and dated 1850.
The painting Chambre de l’artiste à la Villa Médicis, dite la chambre turque, painted in 1850 by the French painter and former fellow of Villa Medici Alfred de Curzon (1820-1895), has joined the collections of the French Academy in Rome!
This acquisition was made possible thanks to the generous support of Philip and Cathia Hall, and with the support of Marie-Cécile Zinsou, President of the Board of Directors of the French Academy in Rome. This new entry into the Academy’s collections bears witness to an approach that aims to encourage the enhancement of the holdings and, more broadly, the promotion, study and exchange of its heritage.
This painting will be returned to its original setting, the Turkish Room, located at the top of the North Tower of Villa Medici, for an astonishing setting!
The French Academy in Rome’s latest acquisition dates from 2013 and consists of a portrait of Cardinal Ferdinand de’ Medici painted by Jacopo Zucchi, now on display in the cardinal’s historic rooms.
To go even further:
• Henri de Curzon, Alfred de Curzon, peintre (1820-1895) : sa vie et son œuvre d’après ses souvenirs, ses lettres, ses contemporains, Paris, Fischbacher bookshop, 1914.
• Notice of the work, Didier Aaron gallery, www.didieraaron.com.
The French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici would like to thank the Didier Aaron gallery, Paris.
Cathia and Philip Hall are founding members of the Cercle International Afrique (CI-Afrique) of the Centre Georges Pompidou. CI-Afrique is the only acquisition committee in France dedicated to enriching the modern and contemporary collections of artists from the African continent.
Cover image: view of the interior of the Turkish Room at the Villa Medici and the painting Chambre de l’artiste à la Villa Médicis, dite la chambre turque, Alfred de Curzon, 1850, oil on canvas, 33 x 47 cm.
Photo: © AFR – Villa Médicis
Gallery photos: © Daniele Molajoli