Residency of drawing between Villa Medici and the City of Montauban
In partnership with The Drawer
The French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici and the City of Montauban launch a new residency program in partnership with the specialized magazine The Drawer!
This first drawing residency between Villa Medici and the City of Montauban, the birthplace of the painter and draughtsman Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres – who was also a Fellow and then director of the Villa Medici in the first half of the 19th century – will enable a winner selected following a call for applications to benefit from a creative residency within the two partner institutions.
The selected winner will receive a creation grant, a one-month residency at the French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici and a one-month residency in the city of Montauban. He or she will have access to the archives of the Musée Ingres Bourdelle and will be accompanied throughout the project.
The call for applications is intended for artists, creators or researchers with a creative project in drawing or transdisciplinary drawing. Candidates must be French-speaking, with no age limit or nationality criteria.
Who is this call for applications for?
The call for applications is intended for :
- French-speaking former Fellows of Villa Medici, whether artists, creators or researchers, with a creative project in drawing or transdisciplinary drawing;
- French-speaking artists, creators or researchers sponsored by former Fellows of Villa Medici, with a creative project in drawing or transdisciplinary drawing.
Calendar of the residency
- One month residency at Villa Medici: February 2022
- One month residency in Montauban: mid-April to mid-May 2022
Application and selection
- Deadline for submission of applications: Monday, November 8, 2021 at 1:00 p.m. (French metropolitan time)
- The application file must be completed on the dematerialized platform accessible by clicking on the following link
- The applications will be selected on the basis of a file by a committee made up of representatives of the two organizing institutions
- Announcement of the selected application: end of November – beginning of December 2022
- The application form duly completed on the platform;
- A photocopy of both sides of a valid identity document;
- A letter presenting the motivations of the candidate as well as a description of one or several recent projects representative of his approach (5 pages maximum);
- A CV (4 pages maximum);
- An artistic file/portfolio (between 5 and 10 pages);
- For artists, creators or researchers sponsored by former Fellows of Villa Medici, a letter of sponsorship.
The texts must be written in French. All documents must be submitted on the platform in PDF format. The submission of a file is equivalent to a firm commitment to participate in the drawing residency if the application is selected.
The laureate will be provided with accommodation at each institution. These residences are for individuals only (spouses and children cannot be accommodated, animals are not allowed); the internal regulations of the organizers will be sent to the laureate before the stay.
Amount of the scholarship and related expenses covered
A residency grant will be awarded for a total amount of 6,000 euros (gross).
To facilitate the mobility of the laureate, the City of Montauban will pay for his/her transportation to and from his/her city of origin within the European Union for his/her residence at Villa Medici and for his/her residence in Montauban.
A residency contract will be drawn up with the organizers and the laureate as soon as he or she is selected.
THE PROJECT PARTNERS
The French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici
Created in 1666 by Louis XIV, the French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici has as its founding and central mission the hosting of French-speaking artists, creators and researchers for a residency in creation, experimentation or research. Today, it is open internationally to all fields of artistic creation.
Discover Villa Medici’s residency programs: Résidences – Villa Médicis (villamedici.it)
Image : © Sebastiano Luciano pour l’Académie de France à Rome
The City of Montauban
Founded in 1144, Montauban is located at the meeting point of Quercy, Rouergue and Aquitaine, and in the center of Occitania.
A major commercial center during the Middle Ages, the city became a regional capital in the 17th century.
With a number of structuring facilities and a rich and ambitious cultural policy, the city now wishes to put drawing in the spotlight and develop a program around this discipline as a lever for the attractiveness of its territory.
More information on: www.montauban.com
Within the framework of the DESS’INGRES project led by the City of Montauban to celebrate drawing during the year 2022, a highlight will be held from May 14 to 22, 2022.
The Ingres Bourdelle Museum
Enlarged, modernized and digitized, after a major renovation program, the Ingres Bourdelle Museum is now spread over 2700 m2 with new spaces, improved accessibility and a new museography. It presents major works of the painter Ingres and the sculptor Bourdelle.
Discover the collections of the Ingres Bourdelle Museum on: museeingresbourdelle.com
Editorial and curatorial platform founded by Sophie Toulouse and Barbara Soyer, The Drawer publishes since 2011 the drawing magazine of the same name, which brings together every six months a selection of international artists and creators around a common theme. 20 volumes have been published to date, which constitute a unique editorial collection around contemporary drawing and graphic arts. Since 2017, The Drawer also publishes monographs and artists’ books, among which: Inventory, Alexandre & Florentine Lamarche-Ovize, 2017;
Discover the platform The Drawer : thedrawer (cargo.site)