Open call for 2021/2022 resident fellows selection
The French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici welcomes every year in September for a maximum period of 12 months 16 fellows, selected by an international jury according to a criterion of excellence. Candidates to the French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici can apply for all disciplines and genres of literary and artistic creation as well as for the history and theory of the arts and the restoration of works of art or monuments.
Open Call for 2021 – 2022
Application period: from 12 January 2021 at noon to 12 February 2021 at noon (Central European Time)
The dossier of each candidate is examined by a jury composed of the following members: the Director of the French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici, as President of the jury; the President of the Board of Administration of the French Academy in Rome or his appointed representative; the General Director for Artistic Creation or his appointed representative at the French Ministry of Culture; qualified personalities appointed each year by the Minister of Culture.
Experts, appointed by the Ministry of Culture, assist the jury.
See the list of the 2021 jury members attached below.
Conditions of application :
- Candidates may submit only one application file per competition.
- Candidates must be over eighteen years of age on the closing date for applications.
- Candidates must speak French, without nationality criteria. They are advised to have some knowledge of Italian language and culture.
- The selection is aimed at professionally advanced artists or researchers.
- Candidates must present a precise project describing the research themes, the nature of the work and the motivation for the residence.
- Candidates may present a collective project. In this case, each of the selected candidates will receive a residence grant.
Applications must be submitted exclusively by electronic means, via the dematerialized platform below, from Tuesday 12 January 2021 at 12:00 (noon, Central European Time):
Contents of the application form :
The application form to be completed on the competition’s dematerialized platform must include the following documents:
- Copy of both sides of the candidate’s valid identity card or passport;
- Detailed curriculum vitae, written in French, indicating the candidate’s artistic background, diplomas obtained, prizes and scholarships already awarded, publications and residencies;
- Detailed project formulated in a typed note in French, in PDF format only, not exceeding 10 pages and 2 MB, indicating the reasons for the stay, the research themes and the nature of the work that the candidate wishes to carry out during his/her stay;
- Artistic documentation or publications: copies of articles, excerpts from essays, photographs or documentation images (15 images maximum), video or compressed sound files, fragments of manuscripts (2 maximum). In the case of collaborative works, the candidate’s part or contribution to the creation must be clearly indicated. Candidates may insert hyperlinks to web pages, but these are not an integral part of the application documents.
For further information, we invite candidates to contact the French Academy in Rome – Villa Medici at the following email address: [email protected]